Wednesday 6 February 2008

Bangers and Mash with Red Wine Gravy

I assume everyone knows how to make mashed potatoes and how to fry a sausage so the recipe will only deal with making the red wine gravy. To make a full meal I'd suggest serving with the sugar roasted alliums from the previous post.

Ingredients
1/2 pint of red wine
1/2 pint of vegetable stock
1/4 pint Balsamic vinegar
2 tsps plain flour

Cooking Instructions
Put the red wine and stock in a pan and simmer to reduce the volume by half (to 1/2 a pint). Mix the plain flour into a paste with 2 tbsps of cold water. Add the balsamic vinegar and flour paste to the pan. Whisk vigorously until the sauce thickens.

Note: This amount of sauce is usually way more than we need for a single meal, however, it freezes really well. I usually freeze it in ice cube bags and then defrost and reheat as much as I need at a later date.
6 February 2008 at 18:41 , GB said...

Since I arrived in New Zealand three months ago I have not had a potato in the Cottage but guess what I'll be having one evening soon!

6 February 2008 at 18:54 , Mark said...

Hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think when you've given it a try

7 February 2008 at 10:55 , GB said...

OK.

Post a Comment