Tuesday 11 March 2008

Flapjacks

After my previous disaster I finally got around to making another batch of flapjacks, so I can finally post the recipe that you have all been waiting for! As some of you can attest to, this recipe really does make very good flapjacks.

Ingredients (makes 12 flapjacks)
4oz margarine
4 rounded tablespoons of golden syrup
3.5 oz granulated sugar
8oz rolled oats
a pinch of salt

Cooking Instructions
Put the margarine and syrup in a pan and heat gently until the margarine has melted. Remove from heat and stir in the oats, sugar and salt.

Carefully press the mixture into a greased 12"x7" shallow tin. Cook at 160C (325F) for between 30 and 40 minutes until golden brown.

Immediately on removing from oven cut into 12 with a round bladed knife, but do NOT attempt to remove from the tin. Allow the tin to cool for 10 to 15 minutes and then gently remove the flapjacks and place on a wire rack to finish cooling.
12 March 2008 at 06:18 , Scriptor Senex said...

I recognise that recipe - it's the same as my Mum used and I still use with the exceptioon of the sugar. I only use 3 oz. That obviously doesn't affect the consistency though the taste may be marginally different. On one occasion I forgot about it and burned it - that was the only time Richard liked it!

12 March 2008 at 07:12 , Mark said...

It is a common recipe, although I didn't know it was the one you also used. The original I started from had 3oz of sugar and level tablespoons of syrup, but I find making them slightly stickier gives a better taste and consistence.

Even Richard wouldn't have been able to stomach the ones I burnt in the AGA -- think charcoal!

Post a Comment