Monday 4 May 2009

Freshwater Fish

I'm not really a fish person, unless it comes battered with a generous portion of chips but I saw some interesting fish yesterday.

We are currently on holiday at the Reeds Hotel (some of you may remember that we also stayed here last year) on the south bank of the Humber right near the Humber Bridge. Yesterday morning we went for a walk around the Far Ings nature reserve that the hotel sits in the middle of. We were walking along the edge of the Hotel Pit and had almost reached the end furthest from the hotel (if that sounds confusing then there is a reserve map you can look at) when I saw something move out of the corner of my eye. At first I thought it was the tail of a bird that had just dived, then on closer inspection I realised it was a fin! Once we realised there were fish in the water you could actually see quite a few -- nine was the most we could see at one time. Now usually when I've seen fish they have been quite small but these were all well over a foot in length, most of them were probably around 15 inches or so with some even bigger.

Now as I said at the beginning unless the fish is battered and served with chips then I know nothing about fish. So here are the best photos I managed to take given the light.


Anyone fancy at guess at the species of fish?

Post a Comment