Monday, 10 August 2009

I-Plate Update

Well it's been over three days since I fitted the I-Plate to my phone socket and I thought I'd give you all an update. Before fitting the I-Plate I did a number of tests of the speed of my broadband using the Broadband Speed Checker (I did try embedding the speed checker in this post but for some reason it wouldn't work even when I followed the instructions, ah well worth a try). Whilst the numbers varied a bit they were always around the 5200 Kbps mark. Adding the I-Plate didn't seem to make any difference although the instructions did say that it might take 48 hours before any improvement.

So I've just tested it again and I'm now getting around 6200 Kbps -- an improvement of 1 Mbps! Given that I'm on an "up to" 8Mbps service and was told by BT that the most my line would actually support was 6Mbps I'm quite impressed. Added to the speed improvement the broadband has been very reliable since I added the I-Plate -- no slow downs requiring me to re-boot the router and no disconnections. All-in-all I'm extremely impressed by such a small piece of kit that only cost me £1.20!
11 August 2009 at 10:32 , Scriptor Senex said...

Thanks for the update - I think I'll phone up to try to get one - still not managing to get one on-line.

12 August 2009 at 09:04 , GB said...

You may well have galvanised me into some sort of action on this too. Particularly given that my upload speed is 720Kbps.

12 August 2009 at 09:13 , Mark said...

An upload speed of 720Kbps is actually quite fast -- over twice the speed of mine. I assume you meant a download speed of 720Kbps which is very very slow.

12 August 2009 at 11:07 , GB said...

Yes, I meant Download speed. Upload is 325Kbps.

Post a Comment