Wednesday 6 June 2012

Phragmatobia Fuliginosa

Another day, another Latin post title! We spent an hour or so in the garden yesterday afternoon during the only time of the loooong weekend when it wasn't raining. Given that we weren't out for very long we actually got quite a bit done.

While gardening we saw at least three more Cinnabar moths and I also saw a species of moth, Ruby Tiger (Phragmatobia Fuliginosa), that I don't think I've ever seen before, and is certainly a new species for the garden.


As you can see from the photo on the left it was sunning itself on the lawn. While I could see that there was definitely a bright red underwing it wasn't until I tried to move it off the lawn (so as not to accidentally stand on it) that I saw just how red it's body is. Unfortunately I didn't get to see it fly or open it's wings, maybe next time.
7 June 2012 at 07:30 , Graham Edwards said...

It is often so hard to get the wings in open and closed positions with moths and butterflies

7 June 2012 at 07:43 , Mark said...

Yeah, interestingly I can't even find a photo showing what the Ruby Tiger looks like with it's wings open, so I guess it never rests in any other position.

Post a Comment