Saturday 15 September 2012

Colour Coded Pipes

While holidaying on Skye, and dodging the frequent rain showers, we managed to accidentally time a shopping trip to Portree with the Lifeboat open day. I've never needed to be on a lifeboat (thank goodness) or had the opportunity to wonder around one before so I made full use of the chance.


I didn't take too many photos while on board as it was quite cramped, both as the inside is remarkably small, but also because of the number of people looking around. Strangely my favourite, albeit slightly blurry, photo is of a simple sign showing the colour coding scheme used for the pipework. I'd never really thought about it before but having a standard colour coding scheme makes perfect sense, although I don't know why some of the colour swatches were missing, unless they are for pipes that aren't actually present on this specific lifeboat.
15 September 2012 at 18:30 , ADRIAN said...

All ships have pipe work coded. Did you notice that the wiring is generally not. It's all orange. We used to call it pyro. It has an outer sheath filled with calcium carbonate powder to suppress fire.

15 September 2012 at 19:04 , Mark said...

Interesting, hadn't thought about the wiring (I'd assume it's either live and dangerous or it isn't) but looking again at some of the other photos I took there is a lot of orange that could be wiring or very thin hydraulic oil pipes.

2 October 2012 at 16:03 , Graham Edwards said...

That's another thing for my bucket list. I've been round ships and boats (including Gaz's MY Ecstasea) and even a submarine but never a lifeboat.

Post a Comment