Tuesday 1 January 2013

3D Printing: For Fun and For Profit?

Some of you may remember that back in August I experimented with 3D printing. I've since designed and built some more small accessories with similar levels of success. I've been using Shapeways to do the actual 3D printing, and one feature of their site is that not only do they allow you to print your models, but they allow you to sell them as well. Now I've no idea if anyone else will find my models useful or not but there is only one way to find out, so I've opened a shop on Shapeways.

While the Shapeways shop is nice (it's free and requires no work on my behalf), it's a little limiting. Apart from a logo and short description there is no opportunity for branding, and unless the shop becomes very popular I'm guessing it will simply disappear into the sea of competing shops. So I've set up my own shop front as well.

As of yesterday (I really didn't want to rework the logo so I had to get it finished yesterday) Penistone Railway Works is officially open for business. Currently it simply lists the same items as the Shapeways shop, and clicking to buy any of the items simply routes you to the relevant page of on Shapeways. In the future though I could use it to either sell items directly, or to link to other companies for the production of specific parts. There is also no reason why I have to be limited to just 3D printing. The opportunities are endless, but, and I'm only guessing, so will be the wait for profit!

Post a Comment