Wednesday 5 September 2007

Stem Gall

At some point I will get back to doing longer posts but for today I give you another photo from my Grandma's garden.

Now this may look like an apple but looks can be deceptive. In fact this is a stem gall.

Galls are formed by a plant in reaction to an irritation usually caused by an insect. Unfortunately I don't know what insect was responsible for this gall but it must have caused an awful irritation as it was quite a big gall.
6 September 2007 at 05:41 , Scriptor Senex said...

On what plant is the gall, please. Hopefully with the type of plant I should be able to name it for you.

6 September 2007 at 10:36 , Mark said...

Unfortunately I also have no idea what the plant is. It's some kind of shrub with long stems with large distances between leaves along the stems, but other than that I have no idea. I'll try and find out though.

Post a Comment