Thursday 26 March 2009

Unintentionally Left Blank

I've blogged before about people adding text to a blank page in an effort to show they knew it was being left blank.

Unfortunately I keep making a similar mistake with my blog posts -- I keep forgetting to give them a title. I often write the post separately and then just copy it into the post editor on blogger. I add some labels and then hit post only to then realise I've forgotten to set the title. It's easy enough to edit the post and add a title when I realise this but the URL for the post will never be sensible.

I got so annoyed when I nearly managed to do it again the other day that I decided to hunt down a solution. Being a FireFox user (and if you aren't then why not?) the obvious route seemed to be a Greasemonkey script. Greasemonkey allows you to run small pieces of JavaScript to alter webpages. I've seen all sorts of interesting uses of Greasemonkey but this was my first attempt at writing a script.

So I wrote a script which simply alters the behaviour of the "Publish Post" button so that if there is no post title you get a message box telling you this and the post won't publish. If you already have Greasemonkey installed then simply click here to install the script.

Post a Comment